Industrial Fan V-Belt Installation, Alignment, and Tensioning
Many industrial fans operate using a v-belt drive. The constant motion and friction make it very important to ensure proper fan belt alignment and tension upon installation and during routine maintenance. Getting this right will help extend the life of the fan belt. Proper installation is based on the specifications in the installation and operation manual (IOM).
Checking and Adjusting Fan Belt Alignment and Tension
When installing the v-belt drive, we first check the fan belt alignment using a straight edge, then check the belt tension using a belt tension gauge. Here are some details on each step of the alignment and tensioning process.
Fan Belt Alignment
There are four simple steps to checking fan belt alignment.
- Line up the straight edge on the fan sheave to check the alignment.
- Angle the straight edge from the fan sheave down along the belt until it comes into contact with the motor sheave to check that it’s all in line.
- Next, line up the straight edge along the motor sheave.
- Drop the straight edge back up along the belt to ensure that it’s within tolerance as it crosses the fan sheave.
If your fan belt alignment is off at any of the four points, adjust and re-check the alignment until all of the edges are aligned.
Fan Belt Tension
We measure fan belt tension in terms of pounds of resistance, or deflection. We adjust the tension by tightening or loosening the motor bolts. Using the belt tension gauge, we simply take a reading, compare it to the tension range specified in the IOM, and if the belt is over-tensioned or under-tensioned, adjust accordingly until it is within the appropriate range.
Hear it from an Application Engineer
Chet White, Senior Application Engineer / Sales Manager, and Assembly Supervisor, Clint Zwaard run through a detailed demo of fan belt alignment and tensioning in this 2-minute video. To ask questions, get more details, or discuss your application, reach out and connect with one of our application engineers.
Here are many related posts that might be of interest as you think about your application.
- Basic Overview: Arrangement 9 Belt Driven Fan
- Check It Off. Avoid Downtime.
- Getting into Gear: Motor Speeds for Belt Drive Fans
- Increase Motor Life for Belt-Drive Fan Arrangements